Friday, May 21, 2010

The Subway


Lunch time, not a bad spot!

Can you guess why it's called the subway?
Last weekend we took a trip to St. George with some of our friends. The main focus of our trip was to hike the Subway... a nine mile hike down a beautiful canyon. The trip was a blast, but the hike I have mixed feelings about. It was so fun at times, and so scary at others. We were hiking through FREEZING cold water almost all day, and at times had to get all the way in!!! Thank goodness for wetsuites! Besides the fact that the runoff water was so high the park workers highly recommended we don't go, and besides the fact my dad almost got stuck in a crack there would be no getting out of (thank goodness he lost 50 pounds!), and besides the fact it started raining in a canyon well known for flash floods, and besides the water was so cold my feet were aching! and besides the fact that it was the hardest hike I have ever done! It really was so much fun, and I am glad I was able to experience it. But I will never go again :)

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I loved that hike! I look forward to doing it again someday. I do agree with you though...the water was freezing.

John and Maren Williams said...

We need to get all the pictures to you. There are more of you two and chels and mike. We will have to get together sometime with you guys and Chelsey and Mike... They'll have to get us the ones we got from your St. George friends.
I am so glad we went! Johnny and I had so much fun that weekend, I think he feels like we have to have weekends like that every week now... Volleyball, hiking, good food, good company, nice house to stay in, warm weather.... the list goes on!

::dallas:: said...

the subway is a beautful hike, i cannot imagine doing it this early in the season though! burrrrr! that water is still FREEZING in august... i cant even imagine it this year! but props to you for doing it. :)

Dasha said...

I've always wanted to do that hike! Except now you've kind of made me feel nervous about it. Ha ha. Glad you guys survived!